For those interested in a wedding at St Joseph’s please read our Wedding Guidelines. An application form is available to download here. Alternatively fill in the online form below and we will contact you.
You are welcome to celebrate your marriage at St Joseph’s. The following are some guidelines you will find helpful.
- We are unable to have any weddings after 3.00pm on a Saturday because of a Mass we have at 5.30pm.
- Couples are expected to be living according to Christian principles. Those who are Catholics should be attached to a parish and participating regularly at Sunday Mass.
- If you have no connection with St Joseph’s Parish it is necessary to have your own Priest Celebrant.He needs to sign the application form.
- Couples need to have taken part in some Pre Marriage Education Course.. Details of these are available through the Priest Celebrant or St Joseph’s Parish Office, and you can register for this course at aucklandcatholic.org.nz/marriage-family-life/.
- When applying for an application form the appropriate fee should be discussed with the Parish Secretary. A donation to the priest conducting the ceremony should be made at the time of the wedding.
- If your wedding application is accepted at St Joseph’s to take place during Advent (4 weeks before Christmas) or Lent (6 weeks before Easter), you may find various displays in the Church that depict the Season. These are not to be moved or changed in any way.
- Arrangements for flowers etc are discussed with the Parish Secretary. We appreciate some of the flowers being left for the Sunday Masses. Bows (if desired) are tied onto the end of the pews. Bluetack, cellotape or drawing pins should never be used. It is never acceptable to have displays of any kind on the Mass Altar.
- Music needs to be suitable. The Parish is fortunate to have a number of organists who can assist you. If you really want some particular pre recorded music a CD can be played via laptop and our sound System.
- Fine mats should not be placed on any of the steps leading up to the sanctuary.
- Photographers and videographers must not intrude. It is unacceptable for them to be in the sanctuary except for the signing of the register. It is not acceptable to return to the church for group photos.
- Rice, rose petals and confetti are difficult to clean up and we ask that your guests refrain from using them.
- Serving refreshments on the lawn beside the church is not appropriate, and even less so in front of the church it- self.
- There appears to be a tradition among some people that the bride should arrive late for the ceremony meaning it starts later than arranged. As St Joseph’s often has several celebrations or people needing access to the Church on the same day, we expect the bride to arrive in time for the ceremony to begin on time.
- When the application form is completed you will need to telephone for an appointment to meet with the Parish Priest at St Joseph’s – the form should be handed in at that interview unless you have completed an online form.
These guidelines will help your preparation, but if you have any other questions, please do not hesitate to contact the Parish Secretary Monday — Friday 1pm –4pm
Should you change address or phone number before your wedding day, please advise the Parish Secretary.
Best wishes with your planning. We hope everything goes smoothly for you.
Father Pat Brady